Categories
Microsoft Uncategorized

An interesting gotcha on the WSUS front

In my test labs i have a full AD setup with Windows, Exchange, SQL, TMG, WSUS.  All in all over a dozen servers.

Last year i upgraded the ISA box to TMG, well sort of.  I created a new TMG box, upgraded the rule set to a backup of the ISA server (no 32 bit to 64bit migration possible), and let things roll.

To make life simpler I created a DNS alias for the ISA box pointing to the TMG box.  And assigned the IP as a secondary on TMG,  so in theory any old reference to ISA (called Baldrick \”deny everything Baldrick\”!) would work,

This weekend I found it didn\’t.  I\’ve not done the diagnostics, but I found that the WSUS box stopped synchronising a while back.  Being labs, the system was set to approve automatically, and just keep the network up to date.  Well, it hadn\’t, and over 11GB of downloads were required. However worse was to come – when the entire virtual infrastructure started taking heavy hits for patching, the CPU load was, ahem, slightly more than average 🙂

It\’s all OK now, but instead of taking things easy this weekend, I\’ve been firefighting a set of interesting problems.  At least I fixed them; although the final thing and the root cause – why doesn\’t WSUS synchronise – still needs to be sorted.

By P J Bryant

Ramblings of a freelance IT Consultant working for some nice SME's, large organisations, resellers and the usual friends and family! Bit of

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s