A few days I was thinking at an event how I was beginning to feel slightly above the average age, and i commented on this to someone. I justified this with these beauties from my past:
- As a child I can clearly remember (whilst living in a London suburb), the milkman delivering by horse and cart. Further he lived in the next street with a stable instead of a garage, and it didn\’t seem odd!
- Our house was not centrally heated, we had coal fires in the 2 main living rooms, electric radiators (when we were ill) in the bedroom, and in the bathroom – a paraffin heater. The fuel was purchased every now and then when the lorry came round, and kids and neighbours would queue up to fill the jerrycan.
- And i do swear i remember a Frenchman on a bike selling onions. I do know i remember thinking \”it\’s a long way to go back and forth to get more onions\”. never occured to my young self that there might be a lorry round the corner!
I got a rather surprised look!
I know i\’m not that old but a lot has changed in only a few decades. I quite enjoy remembering such different times – how about these happy memories:
- Black and White TV
- only 2 channels on TV
- Just the one phone in the house, and the GPO taking weeks or months to install it
- the test of BST in the winter, and walking to school with free reflective armbands
- the continent of Europe being so far away
what are yours?